Turnkey's Convening of Thought Leaders events are invitation-only gatherings of nonprofit executives. Convenings are held throughout the year. Each two-day meeting brings together executives with a specific role in their organizations: CEOs, Chief Development Officers, Walk Directors, and more.
A Convening is like the best part of a conference – the time you meet with colleagues. Except here, you get to skip the sessions. The facilitated format of the meetings allows participants to have frank conversations about their specific challenges and get feedback from their peers. As one attendee said, “The lack of formal presentations was wonderful and allowed for robust, meaningful, real-life conversations."
A location to escape, unwind, and re-learn.
Convenings are held at the Carter Hall estate in Virginia’s beautiful Shenandoah Valley. The estate includes a grand plantation house, great lawn, terraced gardens, and panoramic views of the Valley in all directions.
Carter Hall is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
June 6-7, 2018: Chief Development Officers to include Chiefs of Community Engagement and Philanthropy
September 19-20, 2018: Vice Presidents and National Directors of Non-Retail* Peer to Peer Campaigns to include walks, DIY, and other non-retail activities (*Non-Retail refers to events with no or very low registration fees and no minimum fundraising amounts.)
Who is invited?
Convening of Thought Leaders meetings are by invitation only. Turnkey puts people together who are most likely to help each other because they have similar experiences. We extend invitations accordingly. Things we look at:
- Role or past role(s). Each Convening is role-specific.
- Size of organization. This is particularly important to the scope of the participants’ duties and experiences
- Structure of organization. Whether an organization is federated vs. consolidated
- Nonprofit status. This is a protected environment, so only nonprofits are included beyond the hosts (Turnkey & Blackbaud)
- Outlier status in related field or role (one per meeting). Example: We included the digital communications manager for the Bernie Sanders campaign at a CMO Convening.